Car Alarm

Anything generally motoring related you'd like to discuss goes here...

Moderator: Moderating team

Car Alarm

Postby Jipstar18 » Wed May 31, 2006 10:40 am

Alright. Can anybody tell me how much would it be for someone to fit a car alarm in your car? Then again, what sh8t does he have to do? Take off panels, drill holes???

I need to know if it is worth the hasle or not.
Jipstar18

Postby blink » Wed May 31, 2006 10:58 am

it is worth the hassle! yes it is with so much theft going on, what he does depends if you have central locking, electric windows and which kind of extras you likw on your alarm, Toad start from 120 and clifford from from Lm145 depends there are many alarms, Personally I am very satisfied with my clifford and I ve had it for 5 months.
Subaru Impreza WRX modified by blink tuned by Kykoudo Racing

My model car collection : http://blink.modelly.com
blink

Postby Jipstar18 » Wed May 31, 2006 11:10 am

My civic has all the sh*t, central locking, power windows etc etc. I was thinking of getting a two-way alarm, thus knowing the status of my car.

What exactly do they do to put on the alarm?
Jipstar18

Postby blink » Wed May 31, 2006 11:19 am

for my clifford he had to fit a small antenna on the windscreen do he had to remove the plastic on the a pillar, he fitted a small plastic switch near the ignition so if the alarm goes on you have to input a code before the car starts, he removed the center console to hide the sensor ( for when the slass brakes, fitted a sensor with the bonnet it takes more then half a day of work and he does have to take out some stuff from the car but im satisfied with what he did on my car not even a scratch or anything, but it took him more then half a day to do it. if you do something man do the right thing from the beginning . he took his time to explain all the features , i cant really complain. I fitted windows sensor so the windows close when i switch on the alarm and the car locks itself after 1 minuteso if i forget to close the car it locks itself.
Subaru Impreza WRX modified by blink tuned by Kykoudo Racing

My model car collection : http://blink.modelly.com
blink

Postby accented » Wed May 31, 2006 11:52 am

Like blink said there are so many features you can do. Added to the ones blink mentioned there are

1) proximaty sensors which warn a person approaching your car that it is alarm. Can be as simple as a beep to a recorded voice.

2) There are auto light sensors which switch off your lights when the alarm is activated if you leave them on.

3) There are headlight sensors which switch on/off your headlight depending on the outside light.

4) There are tilt sensors which sound the alarm if the car is tilted.

5) Microwave sensor mainly used on convertables but could be usefull if you want to leave your windows open to rush inside lets say. These will sound the alarm if someone puts his hand inside the car.

Now I dont agree with two way communication. One reason is the distance is quite short and your usually further away then this. If you werent the vehicle is probably in your sight. Also lets say you are warned that the alarm goes off. What happens next. You rush to your car... now its a lose/lose situation here, why? Your thief can be armed thus putting yourself in danger. Or he wont be armed but then he is in danger because im almost sure that if you catch someone breaking into your car you'll prolly beat the living daylight out of him.I doubt prison is fun. Yes you will be charged because your life wasnt in danger so its not self defence. I know it sucks but the thief has every right to report you and you will be prosecuted and might be liable to damages which will not be covered by insurance. And Im sure Simon can confirm that personal injury claims are far from cheap. If the alarm does scare him off Im happy with him getting away with my stuff then facing charges which will amount to much more then my I.C.E. Oh and I value my life too.

The choice is yours. And the possibilities are limitless. If you want more info on gadgets just ask
accented

Postby polarcivic » Wed May 31, 2006 12:47 pm

I too have a clifford alarm installed with all the gadgets mentioned by blink and accented installed i.e. dual proximity sensor, windows sensor and smart windows, central locking sensor with automatic lockup over a certain number of revs, auto light sensor, headlight sensor, digital tilt sensor, glass break sensor, wireless immobiliser, audio sensor so that it does not false alarm when an asshole passes by with full BASE, omnisensor, ultrasonic sensor, and anticarjacking. I left the car for only one day and as blink said the installation is done really well as well as explanations and help. The cons are simply that it is quite expensive but my opinion is better safe than sorry, and before spending so much money in modding and sound, I advise investing in a good alarm.

Clifford also have gsm pager and intellistart if wanted but as accented rightly said pagers are thoroughly useless and dangerous for yourself apart from being ineffective if the thief approaches the car with a reception killing magnetic device that will easily block ur two way system or if reception is obstructed by buildings or if parked underground so its not worth the hassle. Better have a good alarm without two way IMO.
polarcivic

Postby accented » Wed May 31, 2006 12:55 pm

Actually din tal blockers sabu kaptu taghha, allinqas SPAL zgur ghax l alarm ghandu device li kif tixel l alarm jibat signal lir remote or jekk ma jirceviex reponse mir remote l alarm ma jixelx u tinduna li hemm blocker. u anke ghal GSM blockers ghax GSM networks hemm tlieta u ma hawnx blockers ghat tlett networks f daqqa, jrid jkollu tlett blockers fuqu.
accented

Postby polarcivic » Wed May 31, 2006 1:03 pm

ijwa ijwa anke clifford sabu kaptu tahha imma xorta fl'opinjoni tieghi mux worth it ax kif edt inti tigi fil ghali. Ax kieku nara il xi hadd jisraq mil karozza tieghi bl'ispeakers tieghi stess naqbad intih. U nimmagina li kulhadd ek ux. Jien anke jekk xi hadd iserrah ma karozza mux tieghu itini f'ajni ahseb u ara. Per ezempju quddiem anastasi il belt kulhadd ipartat l'istickers u qalma jimmarkaw in numri fuq il bonnets jew is saqaf tal karozzi li jkun em ipparkjati ! Il vera pajjiz ta slavag!
polarcivic

Postby cortina_mk3 » Wed May 31, 2006 7:29 pm

i ld prefer two way irrelevant of the so-called disadvantages which you mentioned!

plus li ma naqbilx ma min qal li d distanza normalment int tkun iktar boghod minn kem ikun iwassal ir receiver! aliex normalment ir remote tkun tircievi iktar mid doppju ta kemm tibat!

Issa mr jipstar saqsa kemm johodlok bix iwahhallek alarm. Well like everything in the world costs depends on what you are doing. One thing i ld like to make emphasis on. The safety of an alarm depends on 20% alarm module/sensors etc.. and 80% depends on the installation. specjalment jekk andek xi equipment fil karozza, make sure you make the installation at a professional and EXPERIENCED garage!

Mr jipstar jin ma nafx x karozza andek imma jekk xi Kia, Hyundai, Daewoo u em xi 2 brands ohra min ta dawk in nahat, jkollok bzonn tinstalla mutur extra apposta sabiex tkun tista tqabbad ic central lock ax dawk juzaw tipi diferenti min normali
cortina_mk3

Postby cortina_mk3 » Wed May 31, 2006 7:36 pm

ok looks like you have a civic so last part doesnt count in ur case
cortina_mk3

Postby accented » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:25 am

Uejja Reuben suppost int taf li kull ma jwallas xi ftit hundred meters. Ha nghidu int tmur PV tipparkja Swieqi (jekk issib) int tafseb li min go nofs club gewwa PV ser

1) Jwassal il signal
2) U jekk jasal tisma/thoss ir remote

Jien m ghetlekx biex taqbel mieghi lanqas xejn imma jien hekk nifimha u jekk toqod tahsiba sew taf tinduna li l istess bhal mhu qed nghid jien taghmel. Its only natural :wink:
accented

Postby cortina_mk3 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:03 pm

yeah sure at paceville fair enough keith

but where does your car spend 90% of the time outside garage?

80% at work / school
10% parked in front of yours / someone elses house
10% xi qadja l em u law
cortina_mk3

Postby accented » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:42 am

I dont get your point
accented

Postby Jipstar18 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:01 am

Mk3 simply means that 90% of a normal cars time is spent either infront of your house (or someone elses) or at work which in both cases you will surely hear the two-way pager!
Jipstar18

Postby accented » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:11 am

My point is, what happens when you hear it?

Trouble zgur!
accented

Postby cortina_mk3 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:32 pm

yeah... so?

jin avolja andi "bicca" car ma rridx min imissieli ahseb w ara tkun infaqt il flus... la jkunu jridu jamlu l hsara, hsara ntihom u jekk ikolli zokk nsawat bih u jekk ikolli kanun, lilu nuza!
cortina_mk3

Postby accented » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:27 pm

And then your butthole enjoys Bubba
accented

Postby Jipstar18 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:39 pm

Well if a car's alarm goes off knobody would really give a sh*t of it. If you hear it and go rushing to your car maybe by your presence you can see who the thief is ( I don't know a nigger or a white person or maybe a girl or someone you know!!) And lets not forget that you can scare the thief away with your presence!!!

Eveybody knows that if there are more than one person or if they are armed you can easily walk away and call the cops...
Jipstar18

Postby Jipstar18 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:43 pm

So conclusion: two-way alarm is slightly more expensive but more useful to the user!
Jipstar18

Postby accented » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:51 pm

The problem is you wont know if there are more or if they are armed. Its normally to late when you do notice.

BTW as we know most of these thiefs are drug addicts and we all know what drugs do to the brain so these people are thinking right, plus they would do anything to get what they want. To risky imho.

Also you wont really scare him but most likely panic him. Moreover his actions are uncalculated.

By the time the police come he'll be long gone. Oh so you say at least you will recognise, not much help if he's an addict cause he will use it in his favour in court and he'll probably be let go.

So actually in conclusion is slightly more expensive and can be of more harm to you
accented

Next

Return to General Motor Talk